* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
- Public Artist Reception on Saturday, October 18th from 2-4pm at the Imperial Centre
- Women of a New Tribe by Jerry Taliaferro September 17 through December 7, 2014
- Salmagundi XVIII Opens October 5, 2014
- Guild Show featuring three Tar River Craft Guilds October 14, 2014 through January 4, 2015
- Coming Home by Jason Bryant October 14, 2014 through January 4, 2015
- Notes From the Road by Cliff Tresner October 14, 2014 through January 4, 2015
What is Stories?
Stories is a community art project created by Jane Horner and hosted by the Maria V. Howard Arts Center at the Imperial Centre. This project requires community support through the sharing of stories to become part of the art installation. We encourage YOU to submit a story (an experience that really meant something to you) and to tell others about the unique opportunity.
Are you requiring a specific format?
Please limit your story to one side of a regular 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. The rest is up to you. Your story can be anonymous or signed, hand-written, typed, colored with crayons, or drawn. You can write lines of prose or poetry or even a picture!
How can I submit my story?
- Online at www.cogsandwheels.org.
- Mail or drop off at the Maria V. Howard Arts Center.
- Visit the Maria V. Howard Arts Center's Stories Station.
- Visit the Braswell Memorial Library.
How can I get more information?
Call (252) 972-1266 or find us on Facebook!
The Sculpture Salmagundi (meaning an eclectic mixture of people, ideas, or objects) is a national juried exhibition hosted by the Rocky Mount Parks and Recreation Department through the Maria V. Howard Arts Center each year. The exhibition draws artist participation from across the U.S., increasing awareness of Rocky Mount among nationally recognized artists and bringing new visual ideas to our community through the selected sculptures.
The Arts Center Permanent Collection consists of 400 + works by artists primarily from North Carolina and the southeast. The collection includes key regional artists such as Frances Speight, Sarah Blakeslee, Ben Owen, Sr., Mark Hewitt, Cynthia Bringle, Billie Ruth Sudduth, Hobson Pittman and Louis Orr. The current emphasis for new acquisitions is fine craft with a concentration in ceramics. Acquisitions are funded through the City of Rocky Mount, the Friends of the Arts Center, Wilkinson Acquisition Fund and private donations. Click HERE to view selected works from the Permanent Collection